Here I am sitting in the Perinatologist’s office! Finally!!!!
I am 20 weeks and 2 days and we are on Appointment #12 for these babies already!
We have scheduled our c-section for March 5, 2018 – when the babies will be 36 weeks and 2 days. We chose this day because the doctor doesn’t want to deliver the babies after 36 weeks because of the risk to my life and theirs (placental rupture/failure rate goes up significantly after 36w for babies that share a placenta) but we avoided 36w exactly because that’s E’s second birthday!!
Her daddy came home from deployment on her 1st birthday so she never really got much of a big to-do for it and I’m hoping I’ll get to celebrate her birthday with her. Although the doctor made it perfectly clear that there are so, so many factors that could lead to us delivering the babies early but he wanted to get the surgery on the books for a few reasons
- So I could choose my primary and assisting surgeons
- So that those two surgeons won’t be scheduled to be on call the night before our surgery
- So they can schedule for a time of day they prefer
- So that the two docs I’ve picked don’t take vacation around that time
(Side note, I am writing part of this as I am sitting in the doctors office waiting for my consult with the perinatologist and I happened to be put in the same room with the most annoying couples… one is super young and sucking face and being so annoying giggling and tickling each other and another is foreign and is screaming both on the phone in their native language, playing foreign music videos SO loud on their phones… and I’m going to be sitting here for at least 1.5 hours, I’m going to scream!)
Back to the babies: my regular OB doctor says that because I had a nice, healthy, over 40w pregnancy with E that resulted in a successful VBAC, he thinks my body could totally carry these babies to 36 weeks (aka he doesn’t foresee myself evicting them pre-c-section time) BUT that there are a million things that could go wrong with the babies themselves or the babies effect on overloading my organs (low fluid levels, growing at disproportionate rates, distress, pre-eclampsia, cholestasis, etc) that could lead to the babies being born before 3/5/18. Of course we want them in as long as humanly possibly BUT if ever the situation arises that we realize they would be safer and healthier outside of me rather than inside, our doctor team will make that call and they’ll come early.
So, as I am sitting and waiting for my consult with the physician my blood pressure dropped super low – talking 78/50 and I started getting super dizzy and light headed. Definitely the result of laying flat on my back for an hour while they did the ultrasound. The receptionist got me some snacks and juice and I feel a bit better. Unfortunately, (fortunately?) the ultrasound that was supposed to take 2 hours only took 1 but now that means I was left waiting for a few hours until my appointment with the physician between the ultrasound and the doc appointment. Since I’m so dizzy I didn’t feel well enough to leave so that wait was boring with a capital B. (Do people say that stuff anymore? I’m bringing it back…)
I finally got to see the specialist a whopping 4.5 hours after I got to Syracuse. He was SUPER old – which was really comforting because I know he’s seen lots of these type of twins AND quite a few TTTS cases so, I’d totally rather have him than a newbie. Side effect of him being super old.. he talked REALLY slow and took forever during the consult. I had to pee and I thought I was going to explode. End result of the consultation – babies look AMAZING. They’re actually growing right on track for babies their same age that are singles. Spines and backs look great – no spina bifida. Necks look awesome. Two arms and two legs each. Both have 4 working heart chambers and no holes. No cleft lips! (We were actually a little worried about one baby because the last ultrasound they couldn’t get a good picture of the upper mouth/lip. Thankfully now we think it was just the other baby casting a shadow because everything looks great. Fluid pockets and blood flow to their bladders was all awesome. Doc says we show none of the early warning signs of TTTS so he is letting my regular OB monitor me and just wants to see me at 27 weeks in December to clear me from his care. Wonderful news because that means so many less Syracuse appointments than we thought!
I did mention my itchiness but the doctor told me to mention it to my OB if it didn’t go away in a week or so.
I grabbed myself some lunch before heading out of Syracuse and headed home to hubby who had both kiddos home. So relieved that babies look great and that the Syracuse doctor pretty much thought the babies and I were boring and doesn’t want to see us again!