Holy moly, I officially suck at keeping updated on the blog about the twins! Whoooooops.
So here we are, currently 15 weeks and 2 days. We’ve had a lot of stuff happen since the last update 6 weeks ago.
We had our first visit to the Perinatologist office (high risk specialist) for the twins back in mid-September right around 12 weeks. We had a very in depth ultrasound done as well as blood tests to test for certain genetic issues. The twins both passed their Nuchal Translucency Test with flying colors – step 1 in trying to rule out chromosomal disorders. Both babies were measuring ahead by about 6 days for size – weight and fluids looked about equal.
Next, I headed to another building where I met with a genetic counselor who peeled through both B and my family history of diseases and disorders and also ordered a two part blood test to continue looking for genetic/chromosomal disorders. We got the results from part 1 of the blood test back a week or so later and everything looks great so far.
Up until a week or so ago things had been pretty uneventful. We traveled to Virginia Tech for a football game and to celebrate my 30th birthday – we had an amazing time.
Ever since the game hubby has been busy and/or gone for work so I’ve been solo-moming it around here. It wasn’t until maybe 3 days ago that I started feeling more like a human and less of a first trimester blob so it was pretty rough.
Because LJ had just started preschool about 5 weeks ago, all the sickies started going around. He had been having coughing fits off and on and just when I would think I would need to take him to the doc, it would seem to be clearing up. After about 9 days of the cough, I took him to his pediatrician who told us to come back at the 2 week mark. I’m so so thankful they don’t jump to just giving antibiotics, because we’ve had doctors in the past who hand that stuff out like candy. No…thanks!
Around the 2 week mark of the cough, I was checking LJ into school and one mom came to pick something up for her daughter – she mentioned her daughter wasn’t coming to school because she had croup. The next day, we all get a notice that *our child has been exposed to croup* – greaaaaaaat.
That night, a certain little 3 year old boy came into my bed for “bad dreams” (who knows, really he just knows I’m #1 a pushover and #2 desperate for sleep, so I don’t fight it and just tell him to get in bed with me). Well, I didn’t sleep that night. He was burning up and it was radiating and he was coughing all night. Around 4am he told me his tummy hurt and asked me to accompany him to the potty. We passed the medicine cabinet on the way and I grabbed the thermometer – 101.5 fever. The next day, Wednesday, I didn’t take him to school. He had a bit of Tylenol that day but for the rest of the day was a rockstar and ran around totally normal.
Thursday night, I woke around midnight to horrible horrible stomach bug/food poisoning symptoms (I’ll let your imagination run wild there, lets just say it was awful) and spent the rest of the night trying to sleep hugging a bucket and with my back feeling like someone had beat it with a sledge hammer – but, no way to go to the ER to get help so there I was a mess of a human.
I woke the next morning and took LJs temp, 98.5 – so I dropped him off at school. I was full on in my PJs and 0% shame. I came home and waited for my doctors office to open. I called both my OB and my primary care doc hoping I could come in and get a prescription for some Zofran so that if/when the next stomach bug wave hit, I could take a pill and ward off the nausea and vomiting – because ain’t nobody want to throw up for 2 straight hours again. That was a nightmare. Well, as luck would have it – both offices gave me a “Yeah, we can’t help you – go to the ER” response. So off to the ER I went, dragging my 18 month old with me.
We get there and we’re 2nd to be called – and within a matter of moments I start hearing that the current wait is 2 hours, they’re getting all these incoming calls, etc. E was a good little toddler… for about 45 minutes. I was in so much pain and so nauseous that I started frantically thinking of who I could ask to come get her. Everyone I knew to call either was working or was out of town. In desperation, I decided to contact my husband’s commander’s wife – who, thank God, called me first because a friend tipped her off (thank GOD for Bethany).
Cara came and got E, switched the car seats to her car, and headed to my house to grab some things. As luck would have it – RING RING – as I’m huddled in the fetal position on a triage bed, finally being seen after 2 hours of waiting, LJs preschool calls to tell me that he is sick and needs to go home. I instantly start crying – there is NO ONE available/in town that is on the authorized pick up list. Ya’ll, this is the nightmare of not living near family. I have SIX people on that pick up list – and not ONE was closer than an hour and a half away at that moment. They said he was complaining of abdominal pain, staring off into space, and had a 101.5 fever. I frantically start calling around – and finally decide that Cara, the amazing commanders wife, will go get LJ. Now, to figure out how to legally get her on this pickup list. I stalk her Facebook and grab some pictures and text them to the child care center director along with her first and last name and pray a quick Hail Mary that this will be acceptable. They do NOT normally do this but thank God they made an exception.
I’m still laying in a hospital bed crying, half from pain half from “WHY THE HECK DOES THIS CRAP HAPPEN LIKE THIS?!?”, when I get another call from the preschool telling me that they are about to call 911 for my son. His temperature jumped to 103.5 in the 20 minutes since the last reading, he was doubled over in pain in his abdomen (and they suspected appendicitis) and he was beginning to shake. If Cara wasn’t there to get him in the next 5 min they were calling 911. God, help me why does this stuff happen like this!!
Just in time, Cara showed up and zoomed right over to a pharmacy to grab some Tylenol and Motrin to dose LJ both at once to get the fever to come down. Praise God, the fever came down within a half hour and after some burping, LJ wasn’t complaining of abdominal pain anymore.
I’m in the ER just freaking out and having to get an ultrasound because of the high risk twin situation. They take some blood, give me some Zofran and I start to feel better. Once I got the nice bag of fluids I really started to turn around. Thanks to the company of a friend who is also a nurse in the ER that came in on her day off to comfort my hot mess behind, they took amazing care of me. My back pain was likely due to the 2 hours of violently throwing up and a heating pad should do the trick on that one.
Both kids are safe and having a blast playing at Mrs Cara’s house and I’m pretty much just waiting on being discharged when the doctor comes in and drops these two bombs on me.
1 – Baby A is significantly smaller than Baby B (14.9% to be exact)
2 – I have a Complete, Grade IV Placenta Previa
The doctors exact words were “Both twins look great, heartbeats strong but baby A is a lot smaller than baby B. And, you have a complete placenta previa, but you knew that already…”. Uh, no – no I did not know that. His response, “Oh, well make sure you talk to your OB about that.” Ahhh. As if this mono/di, sharing a placenta twin pregnancy wasn’t enough of a high risk situation already – now this.
Now I’ve never had any bleeding with the pregnancy and just 3 weeks ago at our super duper intricate ultrasound for the genetic disorders, we were not cited as having placenta previa which means this has only developed in the last 3 weeks, I would assume.
I was finally discharged after 6 hours in the ER and headed home. When I got here, the kids and Cara weren’t here because she had taken them to play at her house. I told her I could come grab them to which she told me to stay home and take a nap and she’d bring them back after her daughters soccer game. Hello, is this lady a SAINT or what???
I jumped in my bed with the heating pad on my back and took a nice little 1 hour nap. Soon after I got my kiddos back and life went on. It wasn’t until 3 days later that I actually started having an appetite. Considering I didn’t have one at all in the entire first trimester, coupled with the stomach bug, this was a big thing to me. I’ve been eating so much more than I was able to before the bug. Here’s hoping I can start gaining some weight this pregnancy and keep those babies growing strong.
The next morning I called to get a sick appointment for LJ for his fever/cough combo. All that plus being exposed to croup and my stomach bug, I wanted to get him looked over. By this point, its 2.5 weeks since the onset of this cough. I had listened to his lungs a day or so earlier and heard some crackling but had upped the humidifier game in the house and that seemed to help the poor lung sounds.
We get to the doctor and she looks him over. Kid is playing 100% normal, although he had a fever through the night and I had given him Tylenol that day already. She tells me that in his lower right lung, she hears some funny sounds and wants to get some x-rays to figure it out because she’s worried about pneumonia (well, because why not -right???!!). We head to the building next door to the x-ray lab and LJ is a CHAMP. He’s stoked on being able to see his bones after the films and because I cannot be in the room with him due to the pregnancy and I’m just excited that he’s this excited and not scared.
LJ gets the scans done, gets to see his bones, and we head home and E takes a nap while we wait for the pediatrician to call us with the results. (See this post on the hilarity that resulted from LJ and his new radiology knowledge)
About 3 hours later we get the call that, although it’s not pneumonia, it is bronchiolitis. Basically worse than bronchitis but not as bad as pneumonia. And since this type of infection is usually caused by RSV, a virus, there is no medication we can give him to clear it up. Doctor Mom runs out to the grocery store to grab some things to last the next few days/week of being shut in the house and head home for quarantine.
While at the store I get a phone call from my perinatologist, who has now gotten the ultrasound report. She calls to tell me about the previa and to officially put me on pelvic rest – which pretty much just means no practicing baby making which doesn’t matter when husbands aren’t around. Other than that, I need to watch for any bleeding and if there ever is any, I need to get to a hospital ASAP. We should know more about how the previa will affect this pregnancy at my next appointment on October 13th. Since complete, grade IV previa’s only “migrate” 8% of the time, its not likely this will go away so we’ll have to be careful later in the pregnancy to make sure I don’t ever go into labor. C-section it will be (which was our plan anyways.)
Because of my sickness and now LJs – I rally my strength and start to scrub and sanitize absolutely everything in the house. Keeping humidifiers on LJ and meds in him at all times, I sanitized all the linens and the rooms on the 2nd floor. The next day I worked on the first floor. By some grace of God, it seems that these sickies have yet to give E any issues but we’re still praying here because it could always still happen.
After an embarrassing, “Ok, I am mortified to have to ask for help, but I need help” plea to friends and family on Facebook we had some amazing people order us dinner that night and then ever more great people drop off meals. I can’t even begin to tell you the weight off my shoulder it was to not have to think about cooking for a couple of days while I sorted all of this out and sanitized the house and tried to get LJ better.
We survived the week from hell and at the end of it, my awesome momma showed up! She’s been the breath of fresh air I needed to deal with these kids who seem to be constantly whining or fighting or terrorizing something at all moments of the day. I’m so so so thankful that she is within driving distance.
LJ has a checkup tomorrow morning and hopefully the doctor will hear some great things in his lungs and clear him for social interaction and school. He’s going a little crazy being cooped up inside all day when he hasn’t had a fever in over 48 hours and doesn’t understand how he’s technically still sick. The cough is still kinda nasty but I can tell its getting better and better with every passing hour.
I would really appreciate any prayers you could offer that E doesn’t get this and that LJ fully recovers quickly. Also, that by some grace of God LJ didn’t transfer this onto other kids in his class even though its likely this is where he picked up the RSV to begin with, I wouldn’t want any other kiddos to go through nasty thing.
Lastly, I would love to hear how I can offer up our suffering for any of you reading this – if you’re having a hard time and need prayers I would love to endure my suffering and trials that life is throwing at us for the sake of your prayers. God doesn’t guarantee we won’t suffer but he gives us others to help us carry our crosses – so here I am with amazing people helping me carry my crosses and I would love to offer up my suffering to help you carry yours.
If you’ve made it to the end, you’re a rockstar for giving enough craps about us to read this much! Its been a heck of a couple weeks!