Here I am, home, with two babies still in my belly after a crazy 72 hours.
It all started at 5:45pm on Tuesday. Our youngest, E, was running around playing when she blew chunks all over the floor. Hubby and I go into clean up mode but she kept playing so we thought she just tossed up what she ate. 45 min later, on the dot, it happened again. Into the shower we go. Cleanup starts again and now we’re bracing for some sort of bug or food poisoning.
We don’t really leave the house in the winter, especially with the twin pregnancy – I’m tired and fat… but we had gone to a fun indoor trampoline park the day before because Hubby had the day off. We figured she caught it there.
Her sickness lasted just over 4 hours. She slept with us that night and had a low fever that didn’t even need meds. She woke up Wednesday morning like a tornado with tons of energy. She was on the up. I figured because the sickness was so quick, it was probably something she ate and her body wanted it out. Sweet. Moving on.
2pm on Thursday I start to feel nauseous and within minutes cannot keep anything down. I was throwing up so much that my daughter dragged all her baby dolls (and buzz lightyear) to my trash can and pretended to have them all throw up too. Cuteeeee.
My version of this bug seemed to be less graceful than my daughters. I couldn’t even keep water down and I was having a few contractions – sporadic ones. I was sure from dehydration and/or all the stomach spasms.
I called my OB whose nurse quickly called back and said to wait until morning and if I was still feeling this awful to go to labor and delivery (L&D) for fluids and nausea meds.
Wait until morning?!!! Ahh… so I made it until 5:30 when Hubby got home and I decided to go to the ER. Mostly bc I knew they would send me right to L&D and I would get nausea meds and fluids and be sent on my way after getting a good reading on the babies.
There was no one in L&D and I got hooked right up. They gave me a wide open bag of fluid for the first hour and then some nausea meds because I was still throwing up. Monitors were on both babies for heart rates and the TOCO was on my tummy to track contractions – which I was having. But just as I figured, doc reassured me that the bag of fluid would likely completely stop the contractions. So I just waited and sipped ginger ale and tried to keep crackers down.
Around 7:30 the doc came in because I had had over an hour and a half of lots of fluids and the contractions hadn’t stopped. They had actually become more consistent at 4 minutes apart and stronger. He was concerned about preterm labor and wanted to check me.
Doing internal checks can be risky because you don’t want that to send you into labor but it was the only way to tell if the contractions were doing anything to change my body. Luckily I had just had an ultrasound the day before and at that scan we knew I was not dilated at all, nor was I effaced at all. So if there were any changes, that was a problem.
When the doctor checked me there was some blood and I was about 1.5-2cm dilated and 50% effaced.
The doctor was awesome. He was concerned and I could tell but he wasn’t panicked. He let me know that we need to stop the contractions by a drug called Terbutaline. This drug can only be given twice in 48 hours as it affects mom’s heart and babies heart rates. He said we would get the first dose and hope that stopped everything. If it doesn’t then we needed to make plans for a possible transfer to Syracuse, a second dose of the drug and steroids for the girls lungs. The steroids for the lungs only help their lungs for about 7 days so the idea would be that we would stop contractions long enough to get 2 rounds of steroids in me for their lungs, transfer to Syracuse because they have a higher level NICU than here at home and I would deliver within 7 days.
For some reason, I wasn’t panicked. I knew if the girls were better off out than in then we had a good plan.
Hubby was home with the kids and I told him if I transferred to Syracuse I didn’t want him driving in the night. We would figure it out because we had a plan to delay delivery as long as possible so he didn’t need to be there at that moment.
Doctor ordered the 2nd round of Terbutaline because contractions stopped for about 20 min but then picked right back up. But he still wanted to hold off so I wasn’t having the shots so close because they were ROUGH on me. I spiked a fever, had tremors, hot flashes, and racing heart beat.
Then L&D got a little crazy busy – while I was waiting on shot #2 the side effects of shot #1 were wearing off. Once the nurse came in with the shot ready she said “wait, you haven’t had a contraction in 10 min… I’m going to hold off on this…” and then another 10 min went by, and another. The contractions, after another hour of every 4 min on the dot, consistent labor patterns, had just stopped. Thank you, God.
So all transfer plans halted. All steroid plans halted. They still were giving me fluids and nausea meds and monitoring the girls but no contractions!!
I was able to sleep from 1-2a. I woke up nauseous and that’s when they gave me my last dose of nausea meds. I then slept again from 3:30-5:45 am when the nurse came in and said that I hadn’t had a single contraction since around 1am and she was being told to take the monitors off. They left the IV in and ordered me breakfast, I was STARVING!
My doctor came in and told me that everything was looking so much more optimistic than he was feeling 9pm last night. He said sometimes twins just do this. It’s too much for my body and when I get a little dehydrated or do a little too much physical activity it can start things… for real.
He said that I need to drink at least a gallon a day to make sure this doesn’t happen again because he isn’t sure my body will stop next time. He also said to take it easy but if I get any consistent contractions I need to go to L&D ASAP. He said he and the nurses here expect me to be a “frequent flyer” and that it’s better safe than sorry.
I will be monitored even more frequently at the office now and my likelihood to get to 36 weeks is now pretty darn slim.
I got my monitors off, IV line out, ate a huge breakfast and went home around 9am. The hugs and “mama!!!” screams of joy were enough to make me cry. Holy cow I missed them, not sure what I would do with 2 of my babies in Syracuse and 2 at home – for weeks. It would be awful.
Right now I’m just praying for at least 2 more weeks – because then the girls are big enough to come out and stay in the Level II NICU at our local hospital (which would make visiting them and seeing my big kids so much better/easier/less stressful).
So February 3rd – that’s the goal. I’m taking it real easy until then. Looks like I’ll be hiring a cleaning lady after all. And probably asking for a lot of favors. No official bed rest but I do know that all the cleaning and organizing I love to do, does give me random contractions during the day so I need to back off on the activity, for now.
We would appreciate any prayers for the girls that they grow strong and feisty before their debut. And that were given enough time to get them steroids for their lungs before delivery. CM – baby on the right is weighing about 2 lbs 11 oz (official radiology report has her in the 14th percentile NOT 6th!! Yay!!) and CR – baby on the left is about 3lbs 2 oz based on the last ultrasound done on Wednesday, 1/17/18.