We just got back from our first appointment with our new OB. Holy COW am I thankful we switched to his care.
He knows what he’s talking about, he’s got a kind gentle voice and he also knows when something needs higher care than his standard OB care.
He confirmed (what all my sophistocated Google research has lead me to conclude) that our twins are monochorionic/diamniotic (mono/di) IDENTICAL twins!! They both have wonderfully strong heartbeats (in the 160’s) and they were wiggling all around!
Being mono/di they do NOT share an amniotic sac (thank God!) but do share a placenta. Because of this we will not deliver past March 9th, 2018 because the placenta can fail from 37 weeks on.
They are at risk for twin-twin transfusion syndrome and we will get ultrasounds every 2 weeks to monitor blood flow, any growth discrepancies and to watch each babies fluid levels.
The OB is rushing a referral to Maternal-Fetal Medicine (a perinatolgist, a high risk OB) for monitoring before we hit 12 weeks. From there we should have 3-4 total baby appointments a month… holy moly!
I’ve barely gained any weight because all food just seems gross but I’m trying to shove as much protein in my tummy as I can. (Currently eating steak with my hands at 9am).
So now we’ve got some goals/milestones:
- Oct 14th ish – Find out the genders!
- Dec 9th – Make it to 24 weeks, babies are viable and can live with extreme amounts of intervention outside the womb. Babies would be sent to a level IIIB nicu, not even sure where that would be.
- Jan 6th – Make it to 28 weeks. Babies can be delivered at the hospital by our house, will be stabilized and then flown to Syracuse at their level III NICU.
- Feb 3rd – Make it to 32 weeks. Babies can be delivered and can stay at the hospital by our house (pending any major complications) as they have a level II NICU and a neonatology team on staff.
- March 9th – Make it to 36 weeks and 6 days and have a scheduled c-section!
We’re thanking God for healthy, wiggly babies! Still terrified and need 2 car seats, premie clothes, a bazillion diapers, and to buy a minivan! We’re so thankful for prayerful and supportive friends and family and hopeful for a long, healthy, pregnancy and only a pseudo uncomfortable/miserable pregnancy on my part.
Now to clean out the car and start packing for my best friends wedding and for camping with family all next week!
When we got the ultrasound print out LJ said “Aw! They look like little peanut babies!!” .. so here’s some pics of our little peanuts!